Below are some frequently asked questions about managing the integration between Project Works and Xero. If you have another question please email email@example.com.
How do I disconnect from Xero?
The connection can be disconnected either from within Project Works, or from within Xero.
Disconnecting via Project Works
- The connection to Xero is managed on the "Admin - Integration - Accounting" page in Project Works. To disconnect a Xero organisation from a Project Works Office click the "Disconnect from Xero" button. This will disconnect all Xero organisations that were connected.
- When Xero is disconnected from Project Works, the options to "Export" and "Reconcile from Xero" are no longer available in Project Works.
Disconnecting via Xero
Project Works is a third party app which can be disconnected from within Xero. The following steps are to be performed in Xero to disconnect Project Works.
- Click on the organisation name, select Settings, then click Connected Apps.
- On the Connected tab, click Disconnect App next to the Project Works.
- Click Disconnect App to confirm.
When the Project Works app has been disconnected from Xero the options to "Export" and "Reconcile from Xero" are no longer available in Project Works.
Refer to the official Xero help article for more information about connected apps.
What doesn’t your integration do?
- Well it doesn't make coffee for you. The integration is pretty basic, with the focus on taking invoice data from Project Works and getting it into Xero. It will also reconcile invoice payments in Xero with invoices in Project Works. Currently that is "all" it does.
- It won't export any invoices from Xero into Project Works.
- It won't update invoice payment information in Xero with payment information from Project Works.
- It will only update invoice payment information in Project Works for invoices that were exported from Project Works to Xero
How does the data synchronisation work?
- Data is manually synchronised between the systems. The processes are initiated within Project Works to export invoices to Xero, or to reconcile invoice payments from Xero. No processes are initiated from within Xero.
Xero has a default tax type set, will Project Works use that?
- Yes. You control the mapping of Tax Types in Project Works to Tax Rates in Xero. If you want your data in Xero to be based on the default tax rate you have set up in Xero you can leave all the Tax Type mappings blank. When invoices are imported into Xero each invoice line will use the default Tax Rate that has been set in Xero.
What happens if the Xero credentials change?
- If the credentials that were entered when establishing the connection from Xero to Project Works are changed (becoming invalid) then the connection will no longer work. Attempting to export invoices or reconcile payments from Project Works will fail.
What happens if there is a GL Code in Project Works that isn't mapped to a Xero account?
- It is OK to have GL Codes in Project Works that aren't mapped to an account in Xero. However, if an invoice line is for a GL Code which isn't mapped to a Xero account the export for that invoice will fail.
- The export will only bring in invoices where all invoice lines correctly map from a Project Works GL Code to a Xero account.
What happens if you export an invoice in a currency that doesn't exist in Xero?
- It is possible to have different currency lists in Project Works and Xero. However, only invoices for a currency which exists in Xero can be exported.
- The export will only bring in invoices for a currency that exists within the Xero organisation.
What happens if you export an invoice that includes a Tax Type that doesn't exist in Xero, or isn't mapped to a Xero Tax Rate?
- It is possible to have different Tax Type lists in Project Works and Xero. However, only invoices which have Tax Types which exist in Xero (or are mapped to a Nero Tax Rate) can be exported.
- The export will only bring in invoices where all invoice lines correctly map from a Project Works Tax Type to a Xero Tax Rate.
Can an invoice be exported more than once?
- Yes and no
- No: When an invoice is successfully exported to Xero, a "Xero Invoice Reference" will be added to the meta data of the invoice in Project Works. This reference number is used for maintaining the relationship for that invoice between Xero and Project Works. A Project Works invoice can not be re-exported to Xero if the reference number is populated.
- Yes: If for any reason you need to re-export a Project Works invoice to Xero you will need to remove the "Xero invoice reference" from the Project Works invoice. The invoice will able to be exported again.