Tools & Tips
Whether you are using the day view or week view, there are a number of tools and tips that will help you with your timesheet.
Tasks that you use often can be pinned so they are always on your timesheet. You can either click the pin icon to pin (or unpin) a timecode, or select "pin task" from the options to the right of the comment field.
Tasks which are pinned will be shown at the top of your timesheet (in day or week mode) and be ordered by client and project. When you unpin a task it will be shown in the relevant order. qqq
Sorting your timesheet
In the day and week view, tasks that are pinned will be shown first, followed by the other entries. In week view, your timesheet will always be organised by projects. In the day view you can choose to have your timesheet sorted based on the order that entries are added, or have it organised by project. To change the sort order in day view:
- Organised by project: Tick "organise by project" if you prefer to have your work grouped into projects
- As you go: With "organise by project" unticked, entries are listed in the order they have been added
Add timesheet entry
If the task you have worked on isn't on your timesheet already you will need to add it. There are two different ways to find the tasks you need to add to your timesheet.
Find your tasks using the advanced search
The advanced search is the best option if you know what task you are looking for. It allows you to search across client, project, module and task names, and to add the task directly to your timesheet from the search results. So if you know the name of the task you need to use this will be the fastest way to get it onto your timesheet.
To add a new entry to your timesheet using advanced search.
- Click the "add timesheet entry" button enter a forward slash ( / ) to enter advanced search mode.
- Enter search term (can include client, project, module, or tasks)
- A maximum of 10 tasks will be returned in the results.
- Tasks you have used in the previous 5 weeks (or have just been made available) will be listed first. Use multiple words to narrow your search.
- Click the required task and it will be added to your timesheet
Tip: The advanced search works as a key word search across client, project. module and task names. You can use a combination of words to find your task quicker. eg "development" will likely return many search results, while "development Acme" will return a more refined list..
Find your tasks using the standard search
Using the standard search you locate the project you want, and open a window with a list of all the tasks that are available for you to use. This is a good way to add multiple tasks for the same project quickly.
Click the "add timesheet entry" button and search for the project you are working on.
Locate the project to use
- You can either type the name to filter your options, or click the arrow to see a list of all active projects .
- The search will check project names and client names,
- At the top of the results are Suggested projects. Suggested projects are projects you have entered time against in the previous 5 weeks, or projects where you have been assigned a task in the previous week
- Tip: If you search using the client name, it will return all projects which include the search text, and all projects for client names that match the search text
- This is helpful if you aren't sure of the exact project name but know what client it is for.
Pro Tip: You can search using a combination of client name and project name. eg: "Acme website" will return any project for the client "Acme" with "website" in the project name.
Select the task/tasks you want
Once you have selected the project you need, you will be presented with a list of all active tasks. You will only be able to add tasks that are active, available for use on the selected date, and if a project has been locked down, only tasks that a Project Manager has assigned to you.
- Select the task/s you want to add to your timesheet and click save
- Any task that is unavailable can't be selected, and will show the reason it is unavailable (eg task ended on 15 July 2019)
Projectworks allows for time to be entered down to the minute. There are four different ways you can enter time, all with the same result.
- Enter the time in minutes (eg 90)
- Enter the time in hours and minutes (eg 1:30)
- Enter the time in hours as decimals (eg (1.5)
- Use the arrow to the right to select a time value in increments of 15 minutes (eg 1:30)
In this example, using any method the entry will be saved and shown on your timesheet as 1:30
Editing entries on your timesheetTimesheet entries can be edited, but there are some restrictions that apply. Any timesheet entry that can no longer be edited will be "crossed out". If you click that entry to edit it the reason whey it is unable to be edited will be shown.
- the task is still active
- the task is still available for use on that date (the Project Manager may have changed the date range)
- the timesheet entry hasn't been included on an invoice
- you are still assigned to the task (the Project Manager may have removed you)
You can use the text filter to filter your timesheet based on client name, project name or task name.
Navigating your timesheet
There are different ways you can move through the days of your timesheet
- Use the date picker and select a date (this is helpful if you want to change the week you are looking at)
- Use the arrows by the date picker to move back or forward (by day in day view, or by week in week view)
- In day view click a day in the header row
Showing or hiding columns
The "show/hide" option lets you add or remove some columns which provide supporting information. There are currently two columns you can choose to show/hide:
- Billable: Shows whether the task is in a Billable project
- My hours remaining: Shows the total hours you have left on the task. This is calculated as the hours you have been allocated, less the total hours you have entered in your timesheet for this task.
Removing a task
Tasks can be removed by selecting remove task from the button to the right of the task name. Any time entered against the task for the dates being viewed (the day in day view, or the whole week in week view) will be deleted. All time entered on any dates outside the date range viewed on the timesheet will be retained. If the task is pinned it will also be unpinned.
Note - the task will always show on your timesheet on any dates that it has time entered against it.
Changing between day and week view
Cut / copy / paste / clear
If time is entered against an incorrect code there are a set of controls to help you move it easily. Each of the controls will apply to the time entry as well as the comment.
Project Managers: You can edit peoples timesheets for them and move time to correct task if entered incorrectly. The cut and past controls will make this easier to do.
Using your timesheet on your phone
There is a specific timesheet view used on mobile phones. The timesheet is presented for a single day and operates in day view mode, with the differences being that you are unable to see or enter a task multiple times for a day from your phone, pin/unpin, or remove tasks.