Applying for leave
All absences form work need to be managed through a leave request for the applicable type of leave.
Each company will likely have different rules and processes, however it is expected that all leave requests should be entered in advance, rather than taking a week's holiday then applying for it retrospectively. The exception is sick leave, and it is generally expected that a request for sick leave will be submitted on your first day returning to work.
You should talk to your manager of Human Resources team if you have any questions in regards to what leave your are entitled to apply for.
Please be aware
You are able to apply for any of the leave type used by your company, even if you don't any available. Likewise, your official leave balance will be maintained outside of Projectworks, meaning you could apply for leave in excess of your available balance.
In these cases it is likely that your request will be declined
What leave can be applied for?
Different companies may have different types of leave that can be applied for. The administrator of Projectworks will set up the leave types which apply to your company. It is likely that you will be able to apply for different types of leave, which could include:
- Annual/Vacation Leave
- Sick Leave
- Leave Without Pay
- Sick Leave Without Pay
- Parental Leave
Remember: Just because you apply for leave doesn't mean it will be approved.;
How to apply for leave
Leave is applied for from your leave screen. You can get to it by clicking "My leave" from the quick menu (your initials top right), or by using the menu in your own workbench.
Clicking Add Leave will open the Add Leave window.To apply for leave you need to select the primary leave type, enter a reason for leave and select the first day of leave and your first day back at work.
- The dates will be used to populate your leave request with your normal hours or work (you can reduce the hours if taking less than a full day).
- The primary leave type will be used for each day of leave, if you need a mix of leave you can split your leave over two leave types each day
- Your company may have some rules which mean certain leave requests may need additional review or approval. If that is the case, tick the "requires extra review" box and the notification to your manager will include a note that extra review is required.
- The number if hours of leave you are applying for is shown so you can validate that against your available leave balance.
If you don't need to change any of the details you can submit your leave request and your manager will be notified.
How many hours per day of leave do you apply for
The amount of leave you need to apply for on a day is based by the structure of your work week. Most people will be based on a 40 hours week, 8 hours per day, Monday to Friday. However if you work week structure is different, the amount of leave you need to take may be different.
- if your work arrangement is that you don't work on Fridays, you will not be able to apply for leave on a Friday.
- if your work arrangement is for 4 hours per day, it will be populated with 4 hours per day.
Changing the hours of leave
By default the leave request will be created for a full day of leave each day, based on your work week structure. If you are taking less than a full day of leave you can change it. For example, it may have defaulted to taking 8 hours a day for a full 2 weeks, but you are working for half a day on the first day of leave so you only need to apply for 4 hours on that day...
To change the hours on a day, click the arrow and edit the number of hours
- If you change it to a value less than your capacity for the day, the day will be shaded yellow to signify if is a part day of leave.
- If you change it to a value that is greater than your capacity for the day the day will be shaded pink (you shouldn't apply for leave in excess of your normal hours)
Applying for multiple types of leave in one request
From time to time you may need to submit a leave request that is for multiple types of leave. For example you may need a combination of Sick Leave and Annual Leave to cover an absence, or include some unpaid leave. Projectworks allows for a leave request to contain more than one type of leave, as well as using two different leave types on one day.
The primary leave type you selected for the request will be used for each day of leave. If you need to change the leave for one day, click the arrow and select select a different of leave on that day. All other days in the request will be submitted as the Primary Leave specified.
To use two different leave types on one day, click the arrow and select a secondary leave type and adjust the hours accordingly. All other days in the request will be submitted as the Primary Leave specified.
Holidays or existing leave
Any holidays or existing leave requests that occur during the period of leave you have selected will be shown and "greyed out" as you do not need to apply for leave on those days. If you hover over the date it will show you what the holiday is; eg "Statutory Holiday: Christmas Day", "Annual: My daughters' graduation - Approved".
Note: To make changes to an exiting leave request you need to edit the original request and resubmit it.