Creating & editing a client
Creating a new client could be a big deal for your company, but it isn't a big deal within Project Works.
While the responsibility for creating a new client will vary from company to company it is likely to be Account/Client Managers or Project Managers tasked with this.
The amount of information needed to create a new client has been kept to the minimum: Client Name, which office it relates to and who the Client Manager is. Of course the other details can be added when creating the client, but you can wait to add those details once a project has been signed.
How to create a client
New clients are added from the Client Directory screen by clicking the Add Client button
How to edit a client
All details for a client can be edited on the details screen. A client can be accessed from the Client Directory, from the search or from clicking the client name on the screens within a project.
Client details (adding or editing a client)
There is no difference in the data required when creating a new client or editing an existing client. The only difference is the screen is headed "New Client" when creating a client, or the client name when editing one.
The screen is split into three sections, capturing Client Details, Finance & Invoicing Details as well as any Additional Details which your company may want to capture,
- The name of the client should be entered in full - invoices will be addressed to the client name
- The Primary Office is the "owner" of the client.
- The Client Manager is responsible for the the relationship with the Client
- Selecting the relevant Client Type assists with BI on your client base, allowing you to identify clients within a certain segment.
- Internal Clients are used for managing internal projects. Your administrator will provide guidance on how and when internal clients are used..
Finance & Invoicing Details
Finance Email: Is used to send all invoices to the client. Ideally this should be a central email address like "firstname.lastname@example.org" rather than a name individual. While not needed when creating a client, the Finance Email needs to be populated for an invoice to be created..
Email invoice to Finance Email or Billing Contact when published: Selecting these options will default all projects for the client to send invoices to the Finance Email and or Billing Contact address when it is published. These can be changed on an invoice by invoice basis if required.
- Finance Phone & Notes: This information is for internal use\ and can help your Finance team contact their counterparts at the clients should they have questions..
Invoices require a reference number: Some clients will require a Purchase Order or Reference to be included on all invoices to be able to process them for payment. Selecting this option will force every invoice created for this client to have a reference set - otherwise the invoice can't be created.
Payment due dates: The due date of all invoices created fort he client will be based on the "Payment Due Date" setting. This is very important as it allows your Accounts Receivable team to monitor outstanding invoices against correct due dates.
Number of days
The Invoice due date will be set to this number of days after the Invoice Date.
eg if set to 20, an invoice dated 30 April 2018 will be on 20 May 2018 or an invoice dated 10 May 2018 would be due on 30 May 2018
Day of the month
The Invoice due date will be set to the specific day of the month following the Invoice Date.
eg if set to 20, an invoice dated 30 April 2018 will be on 20 May 2018 or an invoice dated 10 May 2018 would be due on 20 June 2018
A due date will need to be manually set for every invoice created for the client
- There could be an additional details section included for your clients. This is determined by your administrator who is able to set up custom fields which your company wants to capture against clients.